How can I access my health records?

How can I access my health records?

If you want to view your medical records, you may not need to make a formal application. Nothing in the law prevents healthcare professionals from informally showing you your own records. You can make an informal request during a consultation, or by phoning the surgery or hospital to arrange a time to see your records.

How to access your GP record

Some GPs have given online access to their patients’ GP records for some time. From April 2015 all GPs should give their patients online access to summary information in their records. This is part of the drive to provide more GP online services to patients. It should give you more control of your health and wellbeing, especially if you are managing a condition that needs regular monitoring and frequent prescriptions.

If you wish, you can also request for someone else to have access to your GP record. Please contact the practice and we will be able to advise you on the best way to go about this.

The NHS is committed to modernising its services so that they are as efficient and effective as possible and put patients in the driving seat of their care. The ambition is that by 2018 every citizen will be able to access their full health records at the click of a button, detailing every visit to the GP and hospital, every prescription, test results, and adverse reactions and allergies.

For more detailed information about patient online services, download the Patient Online FAQ leaflet (PDF, 176kb).

How to access your Summary Care Record

If you wish to view your Summary Care Record you’ll need to speak with your GP. Unlike GP records you will not be able to access them online by yourself. Find out more about Summary Care Records.

How to access other people’s records

If you want to view medical records held by other NHS services you need to make a formal request under the Data Protection Act (1998) and apply in writing to the holder(s) of the records. For example, if you can’t access your GP records online and wish to see a paper version, write to your GP or the practice manager. If you want to see your hospital records, write to the hospital’s patient’s services manager or medical records officer.

To access someone else’s health records, you must:

  • Be acting on their behalf with their consent, have the legal authority to make decisions on their behalf (power of attorney), or have another legal basis for access

More detailed information is provided in the article: Can I access someone else’s medical records?

Under Access to Health Records Act (1990), you can request to view the records of a deceased person. You can find detailed guidance on how to submit your request on the GOV.UK website.

How can I get information in my records changed?

If you think that information in your health records is incorrect, or you need to update your personal details (name, address, phone number), approach the relevant health professional informally and ask to have the record amended. Some hospitals and GP surgeries have online forms for updating your details. If this doesn’t work, you can formally request that the information be amended under the NHS complaints procedure.

All NHS trusts, NHS England, CCGs, GPs, dentists, opticians and pharmacists have a complaints procedure. If you want to make a complaint, go to the organisation concerned and ask for a copy of their complaints procedure.

Alternatively, you can complain to the Information Commissioner (the person responsible for regulating and enforcing the Data Protection Act), at:

The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Telephone: 01625 545745

If your request to have your records amended is refused, the record holder must attach a statement of your views to the record.