Advanced Nurse Practitioners are Registered Nurses who have done extra training and academic qualifications to be able to examine, assess, make diagnoses, treat, prescribe and make referrals for patients who present with both acute and long term problems.
Examples of these skills and competencies include, but are not limited to, the ability to:
– Undertake a comprehensive and sophisticated physical and/or mental health assessment of patients with complex multiple healthcare needs and/or in crisis.
– Interpret the results of multiple different assessments and investigations in order to make a diagnosis, and plan and deliver care.
– Utilise therapies such as cognitive behavioural therapy when working with patients with mental health conditions either in isolation or associated with a physical long-term condition.
– Prescribe and work with individuals to manage their medicines.
– Work independently but also as part of a multi-disciplinary team and exercise values based leadership.
– Plan and provide skilled and competent care to meet a patient’s health and social care needs involving or referring on to other members of the healthcare team as appropriate.